Friday, December 28, 2012

How I Save Money- Programmable Thermostat
For Christmas I got a programmable thermostat, a penny pincher's dream gift. Minnesota has some pretty extreme temperatures. In the winter we keep the house too warm for the kids. They never keep the blankets on through the night. I loathe waking up any more than necessary and until they figure out the blankets I choose sleep over pennies. It makes me feel better that I can set the program to save us a little during the day while we are out. There is some debate if these actual save money, but according to Energy.Gov “By turning your thermostat back 10° to 15° for 8 hours, you can save 5% to 15% a year on your heating bill -- a savings of as much as 1% for each degree if the setback period is eight hours long.” Even if we are closer to the 5% range this thing will pay for itself in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment